The Multilingual Outreach Volunteer Effort (MOVE)
Find more information, sign up as a volunteer translator, or request translations for community organizations at www.moveatuva.org.
We believe that...
Everyone has the right to important information in the language they best understand. The Center for American English Language is working with hundreds of multilingual volunteers at UVA to provide this free service to community partners while at the same time encouraging multilingualism at UVA.
Who are we?
When COVID-19 hit our community, many speakers of other languages at UVA and in Charlottesville struggled to access critical relief services like health, unemployment, childcare, and shelter. Tapping into the abundant language resources in our community, MOVE bridges this communication gap and promotes multilingualism at the University and beyond.
MOVE volunteers are UVA language students and language faculty, heritage speakers, and immigrants, representing 30+ languages.
What do we do?
- Translate information on community services, such as housing, health care, jobs, and unemployment funds in the UVA and Charlottesville community.
- Interpret for local non-profit and university organizations in our community via hotlines, community events, and online videos.
- Some of our recent work:
- Assisted multilingual families of elementary school students at Charlottesville City Schools.
- Helped small business owners who speak other languages by creating support videos.
- Extended mental health resources to speakers of other languages.
- Communicated new and important pandemic-related information about food benefits.
- Provided bilingual volunteers for local Latinx-led church food pantry.
- Monthly "StreetSheets" in multiple languages with comprehensive information on COVID-relief services in the local community.
What DON’T we do?
As a volunteer organization:
- We do not translate medical documents or interpret medical procedures (We leave this to the professionals!).
- We do not do work outside of the UVA/Greater Charlottesville Community
- We do not translate excessively long documents!
- We do not do professional, paid translating and interpreting. All of our partners understand that we are volunteers and we cannot guarantee error-free translations.
- Though we will do our very best, we cannot promise to meet a particular deadline
How do I submit a translation or interpreting request?
Please follow this link if you would like to ask for our help with a document to be translated or an event that needs interpreters.
You can also copy and past the following link into your browser: https://virginia.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3soG8iZwMm1XUIm.
How do I volunteer to translate for MOVE?
If you are interested in joining us, please visit this link.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do you have a question? Take a look at our FAQs below for more information about MOVE.