Procedure for Application
Candidates for the TESOL Certificate should:
- Complete one of the certificate courses with a grade of B- or higher (for undergraduates) or B or higher (for graduates) before applying.
- Submit the TESOL Certificate admission application and proposed plan of study. Candidates are encouraged to email firstname.lastname@example.org if they experience any technical problems with the application. It is strongly advised that students submit applications at least three semesters before their expected graduation date.
- It is recommended that all TESOL Certificate students schedule an advising appointment soon after acceptance to ensure their course timeline.
- Keep in mind the required grades for the TESOL Certificate:
- Undergraduate Students: An undergraduate student MUST earn a grade of B- or higher on ALL certificate courses in order to successfully earn the TESOL Certificate. Update 4/26/2021: During the COVID-19 periods of Spring 2020-Spring 2021, if a student elects to receive a grade of "Credit" for any of their TESOL Certificate classes, the courses for which they have earned credit will be counted towards their TESOL Certificate.
- Graduate Students: A graduate student MUST earn a grade of B or higher on ALL certificate courses in order to successfully earn the TESOL Certificate. Update 4/26/2021: If your graduate program offered the Credit (CR)/General Credit (GC)/No Credit (NC) grading option for one or more of the TESOL Certificate classes during the Spring 2020-Spring 2021 COVID-19 periods, the courses for which you have earned Credit (CR) will be counted towards your TESOL Certificate.
Questions about the TESOL Certificate application (technical difficulties, etc.) can be directed to email@example.com.
Questions about the TESOL Certificate program can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: The TESOL Certificate is an add-on certificate available only to current UVA students. All applicants must be matriculated into an undergraduate or graduate degree program at the University of Virginia. UVA alumni are not eligible.